Loans and Grants for Veterans

financial aid for veterans

Special loans, grants, and other financial assistance opportunities exist for the men and women who have served in the armed forces and wish to attend school. Although not all massage schools are part of the Veteran programs, many of them do provide a chance to get financial assistance through the government. Be sure and talk with each massage school individually to determine if you will be able to use your Veteran’s benefits to help pay for tuition and other costs.

  • The Post-9/11 GI-Bill: This bill is one of the newer options for veterans returning to school. It offers education and housing funds to individuals who have served at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001. Because vocational and technical training are included under this bill, many massage schools qualify. Tuition reimbursement and fees are covered up to $17,500 per year—students who choose more expensive schools may choose to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program, as well. Most students also receive a housing stipend and/or money for books and supplies.
  • Montgomery GI Bill: The Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) is available to individuals enlisted in the U.S. Armed Forces. By enrolling and paying $100 per month for 12 months during active duty, individuals are then eligible to receive a monthly education benefit after meeting their service obligations. Special circumstances (typically a six-year commitment) extend this benefit to reservists.
  • Yellow Ribbon Program: This program exists to help cover costs above and beyond the Post-9/11 GI-Bill. It is a program that the schools themselves contribute to, in which they waive a part of the tuition and fees in exchange for a matched amount from the U.S. government. The dollar amount of this contribution varies by state and individual institution. Not all massage schools are eligible for this program, so if it is something you are interested in pursuing, you will need to learn more at the financial aid office or through the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Additional programs include the Reserve Educational Assistance (REAP), Survivors & Dependents Assistance (DEA), the Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP), and the National Call to Service Program. For more information on these and all Veteran benefits, please visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.


1 Enlightened Reply

Trackback  •  Comments RSS

  1. Anne Miller says:


    My daughter is 18, and has va benefits from her step dad. DEA. We are looking for a school either near Needville, TX or Crockett, TX.


Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *