Planning After Massage School

What You Need To Know After You Graduate From Massage School

What You Need To Know About “After” Massage School

In the last post I discussed some of the things I’ve learned in my preparation for the MBLEx certification assessment.  But while studying and test prep are something I am focusing a lot of energy on….there is so much more to the preparations to apply for my licensure.   I know that I sound a bit like a broken record, but so much of the preparation for this application is dependent on your state licensing requirements.

In Pennsylvania the requirements include 600 + hours of education, passage of the MBLEx, completion and passage of a CPR and First Aid Course, Criminal History Background Check, Act 31 Mandated Child Abuse Reporter Training, Character References, and information if previously licensed in another state.

Whew!!! The paperwork and training alone are a part time job.  Thankfully much of the more extraneous information is available online.  It took me five minutes and $10 to have Criminal Record Check.  But here are some tips!

  • Use the American Heart Association First Aid/CPR/AED training.  It has a longer time between necessary re-certification.  Know that on-line CPR courses are typically not applicable.
  • If your state requires the ACT 31 Mandated Report Training or some other Child Abuse Training, seek out one that is offered for free online.  Mine was through the University Of Pittsburgh School Of Social Work.

I’m now starting to look at rental space.  I’ve made the decision to open a private practice in my community and I will need a physical space to work from.  I’m not necessarily comfortable working out of the homes of my clients in every circumstance.

Finding the minimum space I need at a price that I can afford without a clientele in place is another risk for me.  I have to consider the things I need in a space: temperature control (heat and cooling), parking, accessibility, public safety, utility costs, etc.  I live in a very rural area and accessible office space is at a premium.

I need to evaluate the professional agencies that I want to be affiliated with.  Not only those associated with massage but also the community agencies that benefit business owners.  In my case, these are the local  chamber of commerce and the business development agency.

I need to seek out the services of a qualified accountant.  I married one…so this makes one step a bit easier.  I’m dead serious when I recommend that you seek out a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) rather than someone who has some finance or accounting work experience.

Your state or regional Institute of Certified Public Accountants can help you locate a qualified individual in your community.  In my course work, I have listened to several individuals claiming to have accounting experience whose advice was blatantly incorrect and would put one at risk of legal penalties.  Do your research on this one!!

I’m beginning to receive massage supply catalogs in the mail.  It’s time to make decisions about purchasing a massage table and chair.  I need to pick out all of the essential supplies and pay for these items.  I have to make decisions about what product line I feel works best for and is safest for my clients.

It’s an exciting and busy time…and perhaps a bit scary as well.  I’m leaving my full-time salaried position to move into a work world that is wholly dependent upon my own productivity, reputation, and knowledge base.

There are so many decisions to be made in almost every aspect of creating this business.  It’s time for me to take the deep breath I’ve been recommending in every post.

Until next time…let’s breathe together!